With just a few weeks to go until the EU referendum, Breckland Council is urging residents to ensure they register to vote, if they’re not registered already.
The referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union will take place on Thursday, 23 June 2016.
To take part, eligible residents must have registered to vote by Tuesday, 7 June. People who are already registered to vote do not need to re-register to take part in the EU referendum, unless their circumstances change before 7 June – eg. they move house.
Polling cards have been posted to registered electors so, if you are registered, you may have received yours already. It is not uncommon for people in the same household to receive their polling card through the post on different days.
The card tells you where you should go to cast your vote on June 23. You don’t have to take your card with you to be able to vote – so don’t worry if you have lost your polling card – but taking it with you may make the process quicker and easier when you arrive.
Key information about taking part in the referendum is available on Breckland’s website at: www.breckland.gov.uk/EUref. This page includes useful links to:
- A Register Checker, for people unsure whether they have already registered to vote
- The Gov.uk page for people to register to vote in this referendum and future elections (if they are not registered already)
- Details on how to apply for a postal or proxy vote
- Information about eligibility – not everybody in the UK will be able to vote in the referendum (eg. those not 18 or over and a British/Irish/Commonwealth citizen living in the UK who has leave to remain in the UK)
- A polling station checker for those who are not sure where they can vote on 23 June.
You can also access key information via Breckland Council’s dedicated election/referendum Twitter account (@BreckElections). Information will also be shared via the normal @BreckCouncil account and Facebook page.
If you can’t find the information you need online, please email Breckland Council at email@example.com or call 01362 656875.