Be scam aware
You or someone you know may have been targeted by a scam recently. Research shows that the majority of us have encountered one but not everyone knows what to do. That’s why we we’re urging everyone to play their part and act on scams in their community.
Help to protect yourself and others by spreading the message about these key steps in helping to prevent and protect against scams.
- Has the call, letter, email or text arrived unexpectedly?
- You’ve never heard of the lottery or competition they are talking about and didn’t buy a ticket.
- They are asking you to send money in advance or you are being asked for personal or security details.
- You’re being urged to respond quickly so you don’t get time to think about is or talk to family and friends.
Help to protect yourself and others by following these key steps.
- Get Advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service 03454 04 05 06 who can provide advice and pass details on to Trading Standards.
- Report scams or suspected scams to Action Fraud at 0300 123 2040 or visit www.actionfraud.police.uk.
- Tell a friend, neighbour or relative about any scams you become aware of.