It is not known exactly when Necton was first recognised as a community but the evidence of a Bronze Age burial site at Mona Hill might suggest that the area was already a long established community with civilised and religious behaviours.
Some of the earliest recordings of Necton are mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Here, it is recorded as “Nechetuna” in the Hundred of South Greenhoe, and was under the control of Ralf of Tosny, otherwise known as Raoul De Toeny.
Ralf, who held a seat in Hertfordshire was Lord of Clifford Castle in Hertford, and had holdings in seven southern, East Anglian and home counties, including the lands and peoples of Necton.
The next nine hundred years or so saw the development of Necton into the community we live in today. In that time, Necton has seen many changes, not least so in the last 150 years. in 1901 there was a population of 653 compared to 2000+ of today.
The oldest building in Necton is believed to be the Parish Church dedicated to All Saints. It dates back to the 14th Century and displays many fine examples of architectural features, carvings and art. Over the years it has be complemented by other places of worship but now remains the sole religious centre of Necton.
The Reading Rooms in School Road was built in 1861 by Lieut. Col. Mason and was used, particularly in the winter, for bible classes.
Education has been a feature in Necton since before 1866 when Miss Mason’s original National School was replaced by the building or the Elementary School in School Road. This school had places for 150 children and an average attendance at the turn of the century of 117. The Elementary School was replaced by the Necton 1st and Middle Schools in 1973.
After 33 years Necton returned to primary school status with the closure of the 1st School building bringing together all the educational services into the much improved and extended Middle School building. Today, this building stands empty waiting to be demolished for new housing.
Over the years, like most villages, Necton has boasted an array of traditional pubs and drinking houses including; “The Three Tuns” on Tun’s Road, “The Good Woman” on Chantry Lane, “The Windmill” on Mill Lane, “The Jolly Farmers” on Hale Road, “The Carpenters Arms” in Ivy Todd and “The Fox”. Time has seen the demise of all but one – The Windmill which today provides great food alongside drink. In addition, the Necton Sports & Social Club located by the playing field on Tun’s Road also provides similar services for its members and residents of the community.